Saturday, March 15, 2014

73. I Love ... having had a Childhood Friend.

I was almost twelve years old
before
I had a Real Friend,
a Daily Friend.

That's just the way it was.
I lived in the country
at a time when parents
didn't drive you to activities
and play dates;
didn't consider
that spending time socially with other children
outside of school
was beneficial or necessary.
That's just the way it was.

I still recall the excitement
when I found out
that a girl the same age as me
was moving in next door.
June 1965.

From that moment
to this very day,
we have been
Friends.

We laugh
about the times we had,
the dressing the same,
the phoning each other
the minute we got in the house
even though we'd spent the entire day
together.
The crazy, silly, embarrassing
things we did.

It was so good to have a
Friend
back then
and to still have her 
now.

Happy Birthday Nellie.

No comments:

Post a Comment